Follow us online
Public Works

Wayne County HouseHold Hazardouse waste collection

Wayne County’s Land Resource Management Division hosts Household Hazardous Waste Collections each year for County residents. The collections are designed to accept unwanted household chemicals for proper disposal and electronics for recycling from residents. The Wayne County Land Resource Management Division also has information on disposal of computers and prescription medication.

Dates, times and locations of the events are posted on the Land Resource Management website.

Only household generated products from Wayne County residents will be accepted.

Items that are accepted include:

  • household paints, stains, dyes
  • floor care items, furniture polish, bathroom cleaners
  • lawn and garden chemicals, pesticides, fertilizers
  • antifreeze, motor oil, gasoline
  • automotive batteries, dry cell batteries, propane tanks
  • old computers, printers, scanners, TV’s, cell phones, fax machines
  • mercury containing thermometers* and other devices
  • fluorescent light bulbs (standard and compact)

Items that are not accepted include:

  • commercial waste, industrial waste
  • ammunition, explosives
  • 55-gallon drums
  • smoke detectors, radioactive materials
  • unknown, unlabeled waste
  • shock sensitive materials
  • fire extinguishers
  • household trash
  • appliances

For a list of facilities that accept HHW year-round and for information on non-toxic alternatives, refer to the

Wayne County Resource Recovery Guide.

Residents are encouraged to bring in mercury fever thermometers for disposal. Mercury is a toxic substance and can cause serious health effects if released into a home or the environment. For more information, please contact Wayne County’s Resource Recovery Coordinator at 734-326-3936.


Riverview's YouTube channel